Monday, August 4, 2014

BOO



This craft is inspired by Hobby Lobby - Which by the way I have since totally banned from my life, but that's a different story.

I saw the pumpkins and grabbed the wooden letters and thought I could put some sort of a wall hanging together. So, I took my time painting because I didn't have a vision of what the finished product would look like.

Each letter was painted with a Black Acrylic Base, and dried for several days while I decided what to do next. The pumpkin was painted with an Orange Acrylic Base.


The pumpkin was a little tricky because his eyes & mouth are cut out. So to give the illusion of glow in his eyes, I Mod Podged some yellow tissue paper to the back of it, and then gave another little coat of Yellow Acrylic paint. I like how it turned out. The Stem was just a bit of brown acrylic mixed with green, and I don't have any sort of special painting skills, I just went for it.


Here's where I got crafty ... the "B" was taped off with painters tape and then painted over with orange. Once a bit dry, I took the tape off and voila!


The "O" I had a vision for to do polk-a-dots, but I didn't want to pay the $5.99 for the foam circle painters, so I took the end of a foam brush and dipped it in paint and then dotted it all over. The trick was letting it dry completely and then fill in the divits where you could still see black.


I didn't really want another stripped letter... but I like the way this turned out. The trick was getting enough paint on my brush to make it look sponged.

Here's the not so pretty side... I wanted to show you how I attached them though. I took bits of left over Halloween Ribbon I had laying around from other projects, and glued just a bit to each letter. I was thinking about going very uniform, but I thought it would add more character if I used different patterns. You can see the pattern in the close ups above. I basically just hot glued the ribbon to the back. 

So, to summarize, this is a really cheap and easy craft to make - I think I put $6 total into it - but I also had a few things on hand (like the Acrylic paint and ribbon). It would be fun to 
 make with a kid to see what their vision takes on!

Let me know if you make it! I'd love to see some other finished products!

No comments:

Post a Comment