Sunday, November 11, 2012

Addams Family the Musical!

I have to say, I was a little skeptical and yet excited to see this musical.

The Addams family is the exact opposite of everything you'd think a musical entails, and I was blissfully surprised that they didn't take much of that away from the family.

The only person I'd say suffered from the musical was Wednesday, but part of the plot is of her wanting to be involved with a boy who makes her "sunny". She is still Wednesday at the core, so that didn't bother me too much.

I am in no way an Addams Family officiant but, I love my characters to be true to themselves.

The songs and lines were kitchy and funny, and somewhat campy, but they pulled it off so well. I guess my review is a little mixed. I really enjoyed it, but the deep dark Halloween lover in me thinks people who REALLY love the Addams Family could go either way on it. I enjoyed it a ton, but I could see someone who takes their Addams family seriously not enjoying it as well.
Here are a few video excerpts of the musical I found online. They make me smile still, and I will likely buy the soundtrack on iTunes as soon as I get to the grocery store to buy an iTunes card! 

This first clip is the opening number as performed on the David Letterman show.





I hope you get a chance to see the musical - it's coming to Salt Lake City after it's stay in Seattle!

http://www.theaddamsfamilymusicaltour.com/

1 comment:

  1. I was able to catch this on Broadway at the Lutte Fontaine theater. Fortunately, I saw it a few weeks before Halloween, 2011. The Addams Family had great stage production and good musical numbers.

    ReplyDelete