Monday, September 24, 2012

Spooky Coffee Cozie!

I live in Seattle, so when the 3.5 million coffee shops in our city start making Pumpkin Spice Lattes I feel the need for a Holiday specific Coffee Cozie. I used to use the cardboard ones they give you at the coffee shop, but if you make a reusable one out of felt you're not only helping the environment, you're keeping your coffee warmer longer! I have one for nearly every holiday, but I hadn't made one for Halloween yet. So, I thought I'd share the process here so you too can have a wonderful Coffee Cozie!

Don't worry, I'm pretty crafty, but not so much in the sewing department, I can just barley get by. That being said, these are SUPER easy, and I kind of made up the instructions on my own with use of a pattern I found online. You can either google a pattern, or go to Starbucks and get one of their cardboard things to trace. They're about the same size.

Here's what you'll need...
- A Sewing machine (thread, bobbin, etc...)
- A Needle & Thread
- Scissors (Pinking Sheers if you'd like)
- Pins
- Two pieces of Felt, I use the 8 x 11 sheets you can get at any craft store for about 34 cents a sheet.
- Small piece of thin elastic (or a hair tie)
- A button to match your felt

Start by cutting the pattern out of each color of fabric.

 Then layer them one on top of the other and pin them together. I only use two pins, the felt tends to stick together nicely and doesn't move much.
 Then sew around the pieces. I usually use a contrasting color and I always leave about a half inch between the outside, and the stitch.
 When you get to one of the ends, tuck your loop of elastic in between the two layers. Sew over top and back up a couple of times, to make sure it good and stays.

 This is what it looks like after you've sewed the entire thing.
 Then I snip off the edges of the top layer to reveal the back layer to give it a 2 color look!
 Next, I position my button near the elastic and put a pin in the button to hold it's spot. Then, I sew on the button using a needle and thread.
 I had an entire pack of Big and small sized Ghosts, so I decided to sew on the rest of the package, because I didn't really have another use for Ghost buttons.
 TADA! A real quick Coffee Cozie!
Mmmm... What a perfect compliment to the Pumpkin Spice Latte!

No comments:

Post a Comment